web site

check out mini mae knitwear @ www.minimaeknitwear.com.au for more fantastic designs!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Other Info About mini mae patterns - Sizing

Just a few bits that will help when working on a mini mae knitwear pattern.  Firstly, I go by sleeve length as well as the child's height to determine the size of the garment I'm going to knit. This is because a jumper looks obviously wrong, if it's too short in the sleeves.  The sleeve measurement is taken from the top of the shoulder down to the bottom of the cuff. 
I have allowed ease in my knitwear because it is designed to be worn over the top of another long-sleeved garment.  This is because all my children (so I suspect other children also) hate the feel of wool on their skin.  Consequently, you won't see any high necklines or woolen scarves in the mini mae collection.  Also, my girls are very lean (the eldest in particular), so I've designed the jumpers to look good on them, but also have enough room for more average sized children.  To get he measurements for chest & height I used a combination of measurements from a children's knitting book I had, and Pumpkin Patch (retail clothing).  I hope this helps, when trying to work out the sizing.
I will be doing some slimmer 'no ease' garments (dresses, vests) soon as well.  I will be doing a slimmer, improved version of the One Knit Wonder Dress as part of this collection.  So if you're wondering where that design went....now you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment